12 Recipes for a Healthy Super Bowl Sunday
By INLIV Team | GENERAL
Will you be watching the Super Bowl this Sunday? It’s a day well-known for excited fans, creative commercials and calorie-laden snacks. If you’re like the average American, you may pack away a whopping 2,400 calories while watching the game.
A study from the Snack Food Association revealed that during the game, football fans will consume:
- 25 billion chicken wings
- 5 million pounds of bacon
- 2 million pounds of potato chips
- 10 million pounds of ribs
- 2 million pounds of tortilla chips
- 8 million pounds of popcorn
- 3 million pounds of nuts
If you’re looking for some healthier Super Bowl snack options, here are a few recipes to try this weekend, including a few suggestions from our INLIV team.
This is a fun take on a boring veggie platter – and it’s perfect for making individual servings.
- On the bottom of a small cup, layer some cream cheese
- Top it with a layer a black olive tapenade
- “Plant” some carrot sticks, celery and green beans in the top, and dip away!
Kelly Blackshaw, Business Development Director, Wello
Take two packages of Pillsbury crescent rolls, flatten them and spread on a baking pan (like a pizza crust). Bake per the directions on the container.
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1/2 onion
- 1-2 celery stalks
- 1 cup of cauliflower
- 1 cup of broccoli
Spread over top of pizza. Place in refrigerator for approximately 1-2 hours before the game. Slice into pizza squares and enjoy!
Stefanie O’Reilly, Nurse Practitioner
Seven Layer Bean Dip with Guacamole
- Combine in a small bowl:
- 1½ cups Greek yogurt
- 4 tbsp canned green chilies
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- Combine in a medium bowl:
- 2 cups plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- dash of Tabasco sauce
- Have ready:
- 1 16oz can of refried beans
- 1½ cups guacamole
- 1 cup pitted black olives
- 1 bunch of green onions, trimmed & chopped
- 1½ cups shredded, low-fat Monterey Jack cheese
- Choose a platter or dish that is at least 2” deep – and start layering!
- Spread the refried beans evenly on the bottom of the platter
- Spread the guacamole on top, taking it right out to the sides
- Layer the yogurt on top of the guacamole
- Next is the black olives
- Layer the tomatoes on top
- Now the green onions
- Top with the grated cheese
Cover and refrigerate until you’re ready to serve.
Anna Smith, People & Culture Coordinator
Makaeley Brown, Client Coordinator, raves about this recipe as a healthy (and tasty!) substitute for chicken wings – Cauliflower Buffalo Wings
Looking for a few more healthy snack recipes?
- Guacamole Stuffed Eggs
- Mini Zucchini Pizzas
- Skinny Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- Lasagna Zucchini Cups
- Shrimp Cucumber Bites
- Vietnamese Healthy Spring Rolls
- Salt & Vinegar Zucchini Chips
Once Super Bowl Sunday is over and you want a little help burning off those calories, check out our fitness and personal training options or drop in for our Saturday Morning Circuit Training classes. No membership is required and everyone is welcome.